May 21, 2011 Is Coming! Are You Ready For…

The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

May 21, 2011: The Rapture and The Beginning of the End of The World

Down through the ages end-of-the-world messages have been proclaimed.  They are not limited to one geographical region or one culture.  There have been various predictions and doomsday scenarios since 44BC.

In the 1830s and 40s it was William Miller, a farmer, who convinced himself that the world would end on October 22, 1844 based on a his mathematical understanding of biblical days in Daniel.  A large number of people joined him.

A number of the Millerites abandoned their jobs and farms to wait for their God.  A number of them sold all of their possessions. Unfortunately, October 22 came and went.  It would be a very bitter and cold winter for them and their families. Their harvest of hope became a harvest of bitter disappointment.

The current fascination is with Harold Camping, an 89 year-old former civil engineer, who has devoted years of study to the Bible.  His conclusions are simple: on May 21 around 6 pm the Rapture will occur.

Harold Camping

The Rapture is an unusual doctrine which many educated theologians reject.  Of course, it is accepted by a fair number of Christians in various churches.

This blog is not the place to dissect this theory which originated in the late 1700s. One of its leading advocates is Jack Van Impe of Troy, Michigan. Dr. Van Impe is an impressive individual with a grasp of facts and a memory which we all could wish for on this planet traversing the cosmos.  There is no connection between him and Mr. Camping.

Mr. Camping has over 2000 billboards across the country proclaiming the message of judgment. 2% of the global population will be taken to heaven while the other 98% suffer the great tribulation of Revelation.

The harbingers of earthquakes, economic woes, wars, conflict, sexual perversions, etc. are definite signs which Mr. Camping and his devoted followers believe signal the end of existence on this orb. One has to admit the current global mess is not one to instill confidence there will be a better tomorrow.

One of the believers is Adam Larsen, 32, who quit his job like scores of others to travel the country to preach the end time message of May 21.  These “ambassadors” drive around the country in Family Radio vehicles to tell whoever will listen their simple message of getting ready.

Gary Vollmer who works for Homeland Security has taken a leave of absence until May 23 to join the Camping Group.  He plans to be off the earth on May 23.

One can laugh at them.  Pity them.  Ridicule them.  Ignore them. Feel sorry for them.  Leave them be.  Or—Believe them.

The world is not a nice place.  It is understandable that people can convince themselves that there is something better over the horizon.  Usually, there is, except the horizon is another day of toil on this orb.

Will the world end on May 21 as we know it?  It will for those who die on May 21.  For the rest of us May 22 will come. I plan to be on holiday.

And what of Harold Camping and his followers on May 22?  Life will go on like it did for the Millerities on October 23, 1844.  Disbelief. Disappointment. Anger. Fear. Depression. Recalculations.

Will there be new dates for the end of the world? Of course!

Will the world eventually end?  This is a given—no way to avoid it.

However, keep this point in mind.  When you die, it is the end of the world for you.

Embrace life.  Enjoy it. Value it.  Love those in your inner circle.  Help those in need on the road of life. Be a benefit to your community.  This is how you prepare for the end of the world.

G. D. Williams       © 2011

Huffington Post:

The Independent

AOL News


Judgment Day May 21, 2011

Harold Camping Will Go Mad on May 21, 2011

A Brief Bio of Harold Camping

The History Channel

Library of Date Setters  44BC to the future

Jack Van Impe Ministries

PBS Frontline William Miller & John Darby

The Great Disappointment William Miller


Yahoo Thursday, May 19

Charisma News


Orlando Sentinel,0,7614935.story

MSN Friday May 20, 2011